[Original 1931 text] "The northern part of this street, 145 feet in length, had been dug by Mr.
Ancient Indus civilization streets.
[Original 1931 text] "A considerable number of buildings separated from each other by streets and lanes have been excavated in the southern portion of the stupa mound . . .. The terrain here descends more or less abruptly to the south, where a narrow
From the plinth of the acropolis, it is a short distance to the lower town. The lower town contains a commercial and residential area. The arterial streets running from north to south were flanked by shops, merchant dwellings and artisan's workshops.
The UM excavations conducted by Dr. G. F. Dales in 1964-65 exposed a massive mud brick platform that was used to raise a group of brick buildings several meters above the street level which was seen in the foreground.
This street, called Divinity Street by the early excavators, has a small drain with brick coverings. The street runs north south along the east side of the College building.
Looking north along the street to the east of the Great Bath. The building on the right is a single large structure called the College, and may have been the residence of priests or other elites (see Slide 38).