Some buildings in L area are constructed on top of a massive mud brick platform that can be seen here as grey-olive mud brick below the eroding red fired bricks.
Excavated Ancient Indus Civilization platforms.
The foundations of many houses were constructed on top of massive mud brick platforms such as this one eroding from the edge of the mound along the major east-west street dividing HR and VS areas.
Greenish clay layers were found in a deep depression in the center of the HARP-excavated platform. One theory that is being investigated is that the platform and the central pit were used for production of indigo dye (Trench 43).
A large concentration of straw impressions was found in one part of the floor next to the platform, but there is no evidence of chaff from processing grain as was suggested by earlier excavators (Trench 43).
Detail view of the HARP-excavated platform in Trench 43 with Wheeler's platform to the east (toward the top of the image). Note the mud-brick wall foundations that surround each platform to the east, south, and west (the north walls remain
The circular platform excavated by Wheeler in 1946 (left) and the one excavated by HARP in 1998 (right). Both of these platforms were found inside small square rooms that originally had baked brick walls, subsequently removed by brick robbers (Trench
Circular platforms in the southwestern part of Mound F excavated by M.S. Vats in the 1920s and 1930s, as conserved by the Department of Archaeology and Museums, Government of Pakistan.
Overview of Trench 43 in 2000 looking north, showing the HARP-exposed circular platform in the foreground and the "granary" area in the background. Note the wall voids to the west, south, and east of the circular platform (see also image 86)