List of Figures
1. Excavations at the Turner Mound, Ohio, 1884, Lantern Slide, in Banta and Hissey 1986, Plate 66.
2. Excavations at Wor Barrow, in Pitt Rivers 1898, Plate 255.
3. Photo boards from the Plongeons’ excavations at Ake, Albumen print, in Banta and Hissey 1986, plate 62.
5. ‘Temple and Car of Juganath, Puri’ tinted lithograph, James Fergusson (artist) and Thomas Colman Dibdin (lithographer), in Fergusson 1848, Plate 2.
Of the “festivities” at the site, Fergusson wrote: “so much has been written about their horror… of the hundreds of dead and dying pilgrims that strew the road, and of their bones that whiten the plains … I was most agreeably disappointed to find the pilgrims hurrying to the spot, talking and laughing like people going to a fair in England, which in fact, it is. … I looked out everywhere for pilgrims skull to examine his bump of veneration, and keep it as a curiosity if I found it large, but neither skulls nor bones were to be found anywhere that I could see” (1848, pg. 26).
6. ‘Palace at Boondee’, ibid, Plate 16.
7. The Durga Temple, Aihole, Thomas Biggs, 1855–56, Albumen silver print, in Fergusson 1866, Plate 71, reproduced here from Traces of India (2003, p. 133).
8. Temple west of Hoysalesvara (titled Hullabede Suli Munduppumm from N.E.), Halebid, Linnaeus Tripe, 1854, Albumen silver print, reproduced from Traces of India (p. 33)
9. “Ruined Tomb”, Champanir, Albumen print, Henry Cousens, ca. 1880s-1890s, in Burgess 1896, Plate 61.
10. Jami Masjid, Cambay, Henry Cousens, ca. 1880s-1890s, in ibid, Plate 17.
11. The Mahabodhi Temple, unknown, ca. 1860s–1870s, Albumen print, Museum of Archaeology and Anthropology, Cambridge, P.15436.ORT
12. ‘An architrave of the Mahabodhi’, Drawing and Silver Gelatin print, in Cunningham 1892, Plate 4.
13. ‘Outer Vajrasena (side view)’, in Cunningham 1892, plate 13.
14. ‘Skeletons in lane between Houses XVIII and XXXIII’, VS area, Mohenjodaro, Archaeological Survey of India, 1925–‘26, Silver Gelatin print, Faculty of Asian and Middle Eastern Studies, Cambridge. See also Marshall 1931, Plate 49.
15. Engraving of the Stonehenge, England, in Stukeley 1740.
16. Gate B, before and after the removal of baulk, Harappa, M.B. Cookson, 1946–‘47, in Wheeler 1947, Plate 29 A.
17. ‘Work in progress at Staring a trench from E’, Mohenjodaro, Archaeological Survey of India, 1925–‘26, courtesy Archaeological Survey, New Delhi
18 Although captioned ‘Wheeler digging in Mohenjodaro’, Sliver Gelatin Print, 1950, Faculty of Oriental Studies, Cambridge, the photograph most likely is not of Wheeler.
19. Stratification of Section D at BMIV, Bhir Mound, Taxila, M.B. Cookson/Archaeological Survey of India, 1945, Faculty of Oriental Studies, Cambridge.
20 ‘V columns and megalithic Ornaments’, Dimapur, Archaeological Survey of India, 1910s, Silver Gelatin print, Faculty of Oriental Studies, Cambridge.
21. ‘Gateway front Face (looking South)’, Sanchi, Henry Cousens, 1900, in Marshall and Foucher 1940, Vol. 3, Plate 95.
22. Photography at Sanchi, 1900, printed image in Burgess 1902.
23 and 24. Fathpuri Masjid, Agra, before and after repairs, Chunni Lal and Co., 1902, in Annual Report of the Archaeological Survey of India for the year 1902–03, Plate 11.
25 and 26. Before and after excavations at Hauz Khas, Silver Gelatin prints, Archaeological Survey of India, 1914 and 1915, Museum of Archaeology and Anthropology, Cambridge, P.16053.HRG and P.16054.HRG, also in Annual Report of the D.G.A. for the years 1914–15 and 1915–16, Plates 1d and 1b.
27. Central shrine of the Surya Temple, Martand, Kashmir, William Baker, 1860–1900, Marshall Collection. Neg. 1136, Oriental Museum, University of Durham
28. ‘View of ‘First Street, HR area’, Mohenjodaro, Archaeological Survey of India, 1926–27, Silver Gelatin Print, Museum of Archaeology and Anthropology, Cambridge, P.15590.HRG
29. Interior of Chaitya with stupa, Karle, Silver Gelatin Print, Archaeological Survey of India, 1918-19, Museum of Archaeology and Anthropology, Cambridge P.16115.HRG
30. Tower of Victory, A.D. 1548, Chitorgarh. Marks the Victory over the Musalmans. The Archaeological Photographic Works of India , 1910, No. 1354.
31. Kailash Temple, Ellora, Albumen Print, Deen Dayal and Sons, 1896, Museum of Archaeology and Anthropology, Cambridge P.44730.RDG
32. Ashokan Pillar, Lauriya Nandangarh, Albumen Print, Benjamin Simpson, Museum of Archaeology
and Anthropology, P.16150.HRG
List of Figures
© HARAPPA 2006